Using Essential Oils Safely!
Essential Oils can be a wonderful beneficial tool to your beauty Regime, essential oils can be applied to the skin (dermal/topical application), but it is not always safe to use every oil in this way. It should be noted that pure essential oils are extremely concentrated meaning you only need to use a very small amount
When using essential oils for skincare, a few safety points should be noted. Just because its a natural product does not always mean its safe to use.
- ALWAYS DILUTE an essential oil with a carrier base before applying to the skin.
- Always perform a patch test to make sure you are not allergic to an oil before using it on a larger section of your skin.
- 2% dilution ratio is advisable, i always advise less is best to start as essential oils are potent and powerful and can cause irritations if not used correctly.
- Only use 100% pure essential oil as adulterated essential oils increases the risk of an adverse response.
- Do not apply essential oils on or near the eyes, lips or mucous membranes or ear canal
- If irritation occurs discontinue use.
- Consult a doctor before using essential oils on your skin if using prescription medication topically or internally.
- Some essential oils increase photo-sensitivity. Do not use these oils before going out in the sun.
- Avoid application to broken or damaged skin, wounds, burns, as they are more penetrable during healing and may be more sensitive to dermal reactions.
- Pregnancy/infants and Nursing Mothers have a increased sensitivity to essential oils so it is important to educate yourself on the use of essential oils and know what is safe and not safe for use.
- Always wash your hands after applying a essential oil.
- Do your research, know your product. Knowledge is key to learning whats best for your skin.
Chamomile oil are anti allergenic due to being antimicrobial, and strong antioxidant properties, and they help fight acne by removing toxins and cleaning sebaceous and eccrine glands through sweating. Soothing and cooling to the skin, it is great for irritated skin as well. Its healing properties enable it to have a great effect on diminishing scarring, marks and spots on the skin.
A truly amazing option that works on oily, dry, and combination skin, frankincense essential oil is growing in popularity because of its ability to restore skin that's damaged. With a balsamic woodsy aroma, it brings the same calming properties to damaged skin as it does to the mind. Anecdotally, it has been used to heal scars by lifting the appearance of dark spots. Though frankincense doesn’t contain the same brightening properties of lemon, more studies have found that it is an amazing wound healer. It’s a cleansing astringent with anti-inflammatory properties that has shown effectiveness in treating infected wounds, irritation, and redness. Known as a Holy Oil, it strengthens skin and improves tone, elasticity, making it perfect for antiaging.
One of the reasons aromatherapists love blending with lavender is because of its versatile properties that support all skin types. My favourite reason to reach for this oil is to relieve itchiness and skin irritation. Being naturally antibacterial, it'll soothe and disinfect any affected area, and it also reduces inflammation from hives, ingrown hairs, sunburns, and even eczema. With such strong antioxidants it makes lavender a general all rounder oil for soothing, calm, to ease skin conditions and reverse the signs of aging.
Known as the everlasting or immortal flower, it makes this oil renouned for the endless applications it holds for improving the skin. With rejuvenating and restorative properties, this oil helps reduce the appearance of blemishes and wrinkles, providing a smoothing effect to the skin.
Due to tea tree oil’s antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, it has potential to work as a natural remedy for acne and other inflammatory skin conditions, including eczema and psoriasis. Care does need to taken though in dilution ratios to avoid a drying affect on the skin.
Tea tree oil may be effective in reducing inflammation, fighting skin or wound infections and reducing wound size.
- Keep Hydrated: Even though we are more inclined to go for a Hot drinks like coffee or Tea in the cooler weather remember to also maintain your recommended 2 litres intake of water as well, Tea and coffee intake can cause dehydration of the skin and Hot drinks shouldn’t count towards fluid intake.
- Condition don’t Tone, avoid the astringent based toners and opt for a conditioning mist instead.If you find your skin in feeling tight and dry after you apply moisturiser or throughout the day, try Our Essentials Face Conditioner. My secret little tip is to spritz the face and leave moist then apply your Essentials Face moisturiser over the top, this allows for your moisturiser to penetrate the skin deeper leaving your skin more refreshed and hydrated. You can also apply a spritz of our Face Conditioner over the top of makeup to stay Hydrated all day long.
- Avoid ‘Lip Eczema’ which occurs from constantly licking dry chapped lips, remember to cleanse your lips while cleansing your face and give them a gentle exfoliation once a week also apply a natural unscented lip gloss regularly to avoid cracked lips.
- Avoid Dry Body and Hands by Using a fragrance free Hand Wash- our Essentials Body Wash is not only a super hydrating body wash but it doubles as a fantastic Hand Wash which nourishes and protects your skin, leaving it silky smooth, add extra hydration and germ fighters by adding some Essential Oils like Doterra’s on guard or Yarrow Pom blends.
- Don’t over Exfoliate! Just because your skin may be peeling or flaky this does not mean you have to scrub or exfoliate harder to get rid of it, this can cause more damage to the skin if it is a little sensitive during winter. A gentle exfoliation once or twice a week is perfect for keeping the top layer of skin gently polished, if you notice extra dryness try applying a facial Oil like jojoba for added nourishment.
- Reduce the Heat, one of the top contributing factors to dehydrated skin is when we turn the heat up on the air con and in the shower, instantly we become dry and itchy as our skin tries to regulate. Never hold your face directly under the shower head, the heat is far to much for our delicate skin to cope with, try cupping water in your hands and splashing your face instead to remove cleanser, this simple tip reduces the heat of the water dramatically before it hits your face.
- Dry Itchy Skin, using soap products laced with Fragrance can trigger off many skin conditions, use non lathering products to help reduce your use of soap on the skin, look for products that are labelled fragrance free, as even ‘unscented’ products may contain fragrance. Lucky for you our entire range offers you fragrance free, Sulphate and Paraben Free products. Moisturising After every shower or Bath is a must to avoid dry skin this winter, try our Essentials Body Lotion for effective relief against dry itchy skin.
- Try sleeping on Silk, silk is less irritating and drying to your skin than cotton, make the switch and feel the difference. Also change your pillowcase often to reduce clogged pores from the build-up of sweat, saliva, face products and dead skin that our pillowcases cop nightly.
- Ditch the harsh cleansers, so many people inadvertently believe they have oily skin, in most causes this is incorrect and your skin is dehydrated and your body is producing more natural oils to try and combat the dryness, stop stripping the skin, and just nourish it and within a few weeks you will notice a huge difference in your oil production. Try Our Essentials Face Cleanser for a gentle moisturising cleanser.
- Customise your Skincare to suit your needs by using Essential Oils that promote extra Hydration and Nourishment of the Skin. Popular choices for you to add to your Essentials Skincare Range could be: Frankincense, Yarrow Pom, Lavender, Geranium, Sandalwood, Ylang Ylang, Blue Tansy, Helichrysum, Roman Chamomile, Jasmine, Neroli, Patchouli, Rose, Rosemary just to name a few. That’s the Beauty of Essential Skincare Co’s Products, you can use alone, or Customise with your essential oils *
*RECOMMENED DILUTION RATIOS APPLY. WE DO NOT ADD THE ESSENTIALS FOR YOU, OUR PRODUCTS ARE THE CLEAN ESSENTIALS OF QUALITY LUXURY SKINCARE READY FOR YOU TO CUSTOMISE TO SUIT YOUR SKINCARE NEEDS OR FRAGRANCE DESIRES.